Sunday, September 13, 2009

Gage Goes to School



So this past week has been quite interesting for our family. Last Saturday we moved, Sunday we went to a new ward, Tuesday Chili, Giuseppe, and Mason started at new schools and on Thursday Gage started kindergarten. It has been an interesting week of changes. The one that was funnest for me as a mom was of course that my youngest son started kindergarten. The day before school started the teacher had each of the kids in one at a time and showed them around the classroom and visited with them for a few minutes which was really good for Gage since he was quite fond of his preschool teacher, Mrs. Spencer, and he wasn't quite sure that he needed the change. After the meeting we both were very happy with the teacher. She's seems to really know how take care of things in her classroom with a variety of types of children. I am confident that she can handle my Gage.
The night before school started we laid out his clothes, read a couple stories, and tucked him in as usual; He was ready for school. He woke up and got ready without any trouble. Gage was so excited about school that he wanted to ride the bus the very first day! I was a little nervous about this but atleast he had Mason with him to help him out. The cool thing about school in this district is that there aren't any 1/2 days they go the same 2 full days every week and then every other wednesday which is a late start day. So not only did he ride the bus, but he also had the opportunity to have lunch at school and have the 'whole experience' all in one action packed day.
When he got off the bus I was there waiting to hear about his day and he was all smiles and the first words out of his mouth, on the first day of school, were -"I went to the principals office!" Inside my head I'm thinking "already on the first day of school!!" but logically I was thinking "maybe they went on a tour" "maybe he didn't really do anything wrong" Thankfully I asked him and apparently at recess he saw another little boy bite a kid while they were all playing soccer...FWEW!!! I was soo glad to hear that he wasn't actually 'in' the principals office, yet : )
I asked him how everything was on his first day and he told me about as much as you would expect from a boy... I got almost nothing... but after some coaxing I did get a few details from him and the he asked me, "Do I have the SAME kids in my class everyday all year?" i told him yes and asked him why he asked to which he replied, "Because there is this chubby kid that just pisses me off." I held back a couple giggles and reminded him that he doesn't get to choose what he looks like then Gage tells me he doesn't like him because he's mean, not because he's a bigger kid... I guess that'll be a little victory...
For the most part Gage's first day was a good one and he seemed to really enjoy himself, but what an adventure, the bus, school lunch, and the principal's office all in a days work for my Gage!!

2 comments:

Tim and Lisa said...

What a great story! Glad all is going well in your new home. We miss you guys!

Delee said...

He sounds like a Sabin to me! That is hilarious!
Thanks for having me over today. I had a great time chatting with you!